Sep 27, 2007

Obligatory post: R.I.P. Bill Wirtz

X-posted to HLOG

(Sorry for the delay, but I went to the Flyers game last night! Woo-hoo! Live hockey just five rows in front of me or right on the other side of the plexiglass, depending on which period it was.)

I'm torn...completely conflicted internally. And like all of the other times, this will be about my second-favorite team - the Chicago Blackhawks.

Bill Wirtz died yesterday. According to many who knew him (and frequently criticized him), Bill actually loved hockey. I'd hate to see what would have happened if he hated it.

So, here's my dilemma as a feeling member of the human race:

(a) On one hand, I'm sorry for him and his family. If you didn't know, Dollar Bill died from cancer. I've had several family members and friends die from various kinds of cancer, and it's not a good way to go. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

(b) On the other, I feel like breaking out in a round of "Ding dong, the witch is dead, the wicked witch, the witch is dead, ding dong, the wicked witch is dead."

It's a cross-roads for Blackhawks fans. The heirs apparent are Peter and Rocky Wirtz. From my perspective, we have three possible outcomes:

(1) Peter and Rocky love hockey the same way as Bill, and trash it just as much...right after Sr. VP Bob Pulford has some time to work his brand of the same magic.

(2) Peter and Rocky love hockey just as much as Bill, but in a different (read: good) way and reintroduce the team to loyal fans and bring in new ones.

(3) Peter and Rocky sell the team for as much money as they can milk out of somebody who actually gives a shit for Blackhawk fans and knows how to run the team.

No comments: